Riccarton Junction was a station on the Waverley Line of the Border Union Railway, at the junction with the Hexham line of the Border Counties Railway (or ‘Border Coonties Line’). Once also known as Riccarton, the name had formerly applied to the pele tower and farm more than a mile further down the Riccarton Burn. The station building (now demolished) included a Cooperative store and village pub. As well as the station there were also two signal-boxes, an engine shed, turntable, and several nearby footbridges, as well as major culverts along the line. Opened in 1862 as ‘Riccarton Station’, the ‘Junction’ title was added by the North British Railway in 1905. It closed, along with the rest of the Borders’ portion of the Waverley Line, in 1969, amid heated protests by locals. Today, only the remains of the platforms and foundations of the stationmaster’s house survive.